Thursday, July 12, 2012

Black-banded Owl



Black-banded Owl seen near Refugio da Ilha.


     The first time I saw a Black-banded Owl It came as a surprise.  About three years ago I was walking on a lonely country road near Misahualli, Ecuador.  It was in the early morning and I was, of course, looking for birds.  And I found the Black-banded Owl perched in a large tree about 100 meters of the road.  This was something completely unexpected, as owls tend to be at times.  That was the only Black-banded Owl that I saw or heard in all my time in Ecuador.


Black-banded Owl seen near Refugio da Ilha.
    
    




   A few days ago I saw another Black-banded Owl here in the Pantanal. And, Once again, it was a chance encounter, spotted on a tree branch, at night, from a moving vehicle. This is what is so fantastic about Owls. the first sighting of a particular owl in a particular place, whether you just happen to see one or call for one on a whim, is often the result of luck. And that element of chance makes finding a new owl,and night-birding in general, very exciting for me. You never know what you might find looking back at you when wondering in the night.




Black-banded Owl seen near Refugio da Ilha





No comments:

Post a Comment